Skip Main Navigation
TEST SITE This site is not our production site. It is for testing purposes only. The information might be outdated, incorrect, or formatted improperly as we...
Skip to Content

Frequently Asked Questions About Passports

Please Note: Due to the COVID-19 virus, the City suspended Passport Services until further notice. The City will continually evaluate the situation and make decisions accordingly. For updates, visit

For updates from the US Department of State regarding the effect of the COVID-19 closures on their processing of passports visit their website homepage here.

Are you looking for General Passport Information? You'll find it at Passport Information.

 Where can I find passport forms to download?

All official passport forms can be downloaded at

 How much does a passport cost?

There are two separate fees:

1) U.S. Passport Fees - Check or Money Order ONLY (No cash. No credit cards)

  U.S. Passport Book U.S. Passport Card Optional Expedited Service Optional Overnight Return Mail
(16 and older)
$110 $30 $60 $16.48
(15 and under)
$80 $15 $60 $16.48

2) City of Arvada Processing Fees - Check, Money Order, Master Card/Visa or cash

 All Applicants

$35 each   

NOTICE: Beginning April 2, 2018 the passport Processing Fee increased to $35 per directive of the Federal Office of Management and Budget                                                                                                                           


 What is "Proof of Citizenship"?

This must be ONE of the following items

  • A previously issued U.S. Passport (can be expired)
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • A certified birth certificate, which must include all of the following:
    • A file date, or the date the certificate was filed in the registrar’s office, within one year of the birth
    • Child’s full name
    • Parents’ names
    • Date and place of birth
    • Registrar’s signature
    • A raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal of the registrar’s office
    • Tip: To get a copy of your birth certificate, contact the Vital Records office where you were born.

We cannot accept a photocopy, a notarized copy, hospital certificate or baptismal certificate as proof of U.S. citizenship. (The original document will be sent in with your application, but it will be returned to you when your passport is issued)

 What is "Proof of Identity"?

One of the following: 

  • Driver's License
    • if your Driver's License is not from Colorado or is a temporary paper license from Colorado, please bring a second photo I.D.
  • State Issued ID card
  • Government Employee ID: county, state or federal
  • U.S. Military ID: military and dependents
  • U.S. Naturalization Certificate
  • Previous (valid) U.S. Passport book or passport card
  • Current (valid) foreign passport

If you are unable to provide any of these documents, other proof of identity options are listed at

 Where do I get my photo?

  • Have your photo taken at our office

    • For a $10 fee, the City Clerk’s Office can take your passport photo at the time you submit your application.
  • Bring a photo with you

    • You can have your photo taken at other retail stores who provide passport photos (fees vary).
    • Specific requirements for passport photos:
      • Submit one color photo printed on matte or glossy photo quality paper.
      • Photo must be recent – within the last six months to reflect your current appearance
      • Photo must measure 2x2 inches, with an image size from bottom of chin to top of head (including hair) of between 1 and 1 3/8 inches.
      • Photo must be clear, front view, full face, taken in normal street attire without a hat or dark glasses, with a plain white or off-white background.
      • If you normally wear prescription glasses, you will need to remove them for your photo.
      • Neutral facial expression is preferred; or a natural smile with both eyes open.
      • No uniforms or camouflage fabric is to be worn in passport photos.

 What is the difference between a “Passport Book” and a “Passport Card”?

  • Passport Book: valid for international travel by air, sea or land
  • Passport Card: not valid for international travel by air; used for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only
For more information, visit

 Will I get my birth certificate back?

Yes, all legal documents will be returned to you. They will either be included in the same envelope with your passport, or they will follow under a separate mailing.

 How long is my passport valid?

Passports issued to persons 16 years of age and over are valid for 10 years. Passports issued to anyone under age 16 are valid for five years.

 What if I have an emergency and have to travel in less than two weeks?

  • The Colorado Passport Agency in Aurora is able to produce passports very quickly
  • Appointments are required for passport services at the Colorado Passport Agency
  • Call 1-877-487-2778 to schedule an appointment
  • Proof of travel within two weeks is required

 Do I need to obtain a separate passport for my baby?

Yes. All persons wishing to travel outside the United States, including newborn infants, are required to obtain a passport in his/her own name.

 Does my minor child have to appear in person?

Yes, everyone applying for a passport must appear in person.

 What do I do if my name changes?

  • If it is within one year of when your most recent passport was issued and you are able to prove that your name has legally changed, use Form DS-5504. There is no charge for routine processing of these changes. 
  • If it is more than one year after your most recent passport was issued and you are able to prove that your name has legally changed, use Form DS-82 (renewal), or Form DS-11 (new application), as appropriate.

 What should I do if my passport is lost or stolen?

  • Report lost or stolen valid passports to the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778.
  • A DS-64 Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport may be submitted at the time you apply for a new passport.
  • If you are abroad, the loss should be reported to the nearest American Embassy or Consulate. If stolen, the theft should be reported to the police authorities where the theft occurred.
  • If you recover your passport after you have reported it lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and should not be used for travel.  

 Is there a number I can call to ask questions or check on the status of my application?

Yes, contact the National Passport Information Center toll-free at 1-877-487-2778.

 Can I check the status of my passport application online?

Yes. Please allow 5-7 days after submitting your application and then visit You will locate your application status by providing your last name, date of birth and last four digits of your social security number.

 Where do I get visa information?

Visa information is available at